After finally getting the brazing figured out I was able to get the finishing started. This did not go as planned. I was up for the work, but I didn’t realize I would be so bad at it that I would actually kill off some of my tools. I broke a file, broke the transmission on my dremel and wore out so many tips that I had to reinvest in my whole sanding/grinding system. I must have refinished my welds at least 10 times each joint. Talk about inexperience really coming into affect. The enemies of a good finish are:
- Low spots. This took me way to many times to figure out.
- Pin holes. Contamination and too much flux seem to cause these issues. The great thing about pin holes are that they like to magically appear right when you think the joint looks perfect. If these aren’t remedied, they can make your welds look pot marked. No bueno.
- Out of proportion. Keeping the welds looked balanced and proportionate is an art. It actually pretty fun to sculpt the joints. However if you get this wrong its do over time.
- Not enough brazing laid down. Got to have enough material to make the joint strong and to work with to sculpt.
As you can see I eventually got there. I developed some nice calluses in the process.